Today was the day to get Bransyn's allergy testing done! His appointment was at 3 pm, & boy was I ready to just have it be over with already! The doctor came in & talked to us for a little bit, then sent a nurse in to do the testing. I have never seen an allergy test before, so I had NO idea what they were gonna do. I heard something about slits in the back & getting blood. So I thought they were just gonna take some samples of his blood & test it. I was reallly worried about how he would do & how I would do seeing that being done to my sweet baby. But she came in, got a marker & wrote 5 numbers across the top of his back. Then she had Ryan hold him with his back facing her, & me distracting him behind Ryan's back so that he would hold still. Then she got this thing that had 5 white round things on it in a column, and pressed it onto his back. Then she did it 4 more times, each with a new 'thingy' (I have NO idea what to call it! haha) Each white thing had a little needle to poke into his back, then a 'sample' of each allergy test came out & went onto each little poke on his back. So total, he had 20 pokes... which was like getting 20 shots! :( He did alright with it. Of course he cried, & tried to wiggle away. And as any mom knows, it is HARD to watch your child go through that kind of thing! I just wanted to cry with him, but I had to be strong & try to keep him holding still & distracted so that she could get it done as quick as possible. When she was done, she said to not let him touch his back. And that's ALL he wanted to do! I'm sure it still didn't feel too well, & was probably itchy, so it was quite the task keeping his hands away from his back!
About ten minutes later, the nurse came back in to wipe the samples off of his back & told us to still keep his hands away from his back so that he wouldn't scratch. The dr. still had to come in & 'read' the test to see what he's allergic to. A few minutes after she left, Dr. Pinna came back in to check. As soon as he looked at Bransyn's back, he said 'Oh yeah, he's very allergic to cats!' I'm pretty sure one of the cat tests was the 2nd one down in the #1 column. That one was REALLLY puffy & red! I guess there were 2 tests for cats & both of them had a reaction. He is also allergic to dogs, and showing signs of 'outside' allergy's as well, so like pollen & stuff like that. Dr. Pinna also said that he does indeed have asthma, and him being around cats & dogs is what's triggering it, making him cough & wheeze!
FINALLLLLLLLLLLLLY!!!!!!
We have some answers! As much as I did not want it to be asthma, I just knew it was! I'm just hoping that he will grow out of it like Ryan did. So now, we have to get rid of our cat & dog within the next 2 weeks, or else he will keep getting worse & it will cause some MAJOR problems for the boy. Which I really have no problem with. I think it will be good for Bandit to go to a new home, he just doesn't get as much attention as he needs at our house. And I'm good with getting rid of the cat! haha. But we do need to find them new homes, we aren't just going to take them to the pound. (Like Ryan wants!) And then we're just gonna have to make sure he's not around cats as much as possible. Dogs too, but more so the cats! The Dr. also said that it will take up to 6 months for Bransyn to be completely better from the cats. Which sucks, but now at least we know to not have him around them, so that it doesn't get worse! We will also continue doing his inhaler twice a day for the next 3 months. And that does seem to be helping him with the coughing & wheezing. He does still cough, just nearly as much and he hasn't thrown up from it for a while now!
I can not even begin to explain the huge amount of relief I have now! After 7 long months of dealing with this, we finally know what is wrong & I can stop stressing about it so much! Now we work on getting him better so that he can be a normal little boy & not have to deal with coughing all the time! (:
If anyone knows anyone that wants a dog or cat, let me know! (:
No comments:
Post a Comment