Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fix my kid?

Seriously, I swear there is constantly some kind of medical issue going on with my child.
Okay joking.
Actually, I am thankful that this is ALL that is going on... cause it could be muuuuuch worse.
But still... all you mama's understand. We hate seeing something wrong with our sweet babies!

So anyways... the new issues.

#1
Last Monday, Bransyn threw up after his nap. Just that one time all day. Then a few days later... did it again. Just once. Then a few days after that... again, & just once. I did not know what the deal was... I thought that if he was sick, he would be throwing up more then once a day & it would most likely be everyday. Also, his #2 diapers were... let me just say that it was like he was a little baby again.. you know, the 'explosion' diapers. (that's the best I could do without sharing too many gross details! haha) So I was trying to figure out what could be causing that, since I figured he wasn't sick. I decided to just wait it out for a few days & see if it got better. Then I realized that he had been having a lot of juice lately & that might of been causing it. So we stopped giving him juice & continued waiting for it to get better.

#2
I think it was last Thursday that I noticed a little bump on Bransyn's right ring finger, right where it bends. It just looked like a blister, so that's what I figured it was. Well on Saturday, we went up to Ryan's parent's house so that he could help move some furniture. Bransyn was playing outside & touched an old wheelbarrow & got a little sliver in his pinky. As Ryan's dad was getting it out, he saw the bump & asked what it was. I said that I just thought it was a blister. Then his sister looked at it & said it looked like a staph infection. That kinda put my stomach in knots, because I have heard of some HORRIBLE things that resulted from a staph infection. She said that her husband had one a while ago, so she was familiar with what they looked like. She said that if it had green puss in it, then it was a staph infection. So after he got the sliver out, he popped the 'bump' & sure enough, there was green puss. So we cleaned it & stuck a band-aid on it. I decided that I was not gonna mess around with that & get him into the Dr ASAP, so that we could find out exactly what to do for treatment to avoid it getting any worse!

Monday, I called & made an appointment with the nurse practitioner to confirm our diagnosis of the bump & also to see if she could figure out what could be causing his throwing up & yucky diapers. She looked at his finger first & said that it definitely looked like staph. She said that since it was right on his joint, that if it didn't get taken care of correctly, it could get in there & cause major problems. So she said to just keep it as clean as possible at all times & gave me a prescription for an ointment to stick on his finger to help fight the infection. She said that it should help, but if it the redness doesn't go down, or if it looks like it's spreading, or going up his arm... then I need to bring him back in right away for to take something orally to get rid of it. So for now, I'm just keeping an extremely close eye on it & making sure I keep it super clean!
I also found out that staph can happen to anyone, anywhere on their body. I was really worried that I had somehow let him come in contact with something that caused it. But turns out, everyone has staph on their skin. When you get a cut or anything like that, that the staph doesn't like (ha, that's how the dr explained it) it will find it's way in there & infect it. If you let it go untreated, or wait too long... that's when it will start to cause problems. I am SO thankful that Nikki knew what it looked like & I didn't just let it go, since I thought it was just a blister. I don't know what I would of done if it had caused major problems from not getting it taken care of in time!
So if you ever have a blister like bump & it has green puss in it... GO GET CHECKED ASAP! Staph is some serious business!

After we got that all figured out, I asked her what she thought could be causing his other problems. She said that there is a stomach virus going around right now, that is just causing those 2 things. She also mentioned that with this virus, milk upsets the stomach. Then I realized that every time he would throw up, it was milk! (Ahh, gross I know, sorry!) Since he wasn't throwing up that much, he probably just has a mild case of it. Especially since he drinks a lot of milk. She said that cutting out the juice was good, & to also start giving him 1 or 2% milk so that it's diluted, until he's better. So far it seems like that is helping! So we'll see how everything goes with that & hopefully he'll be better in a few days!







No comments:

Post a Comment