Thursday, February 3, 2011

Visit to L&Dl

Well, it finally happened - I had my first trip labor & delivery this pregnancy. Something I was trying to avoid until it came time to deliver this little miss. By the time I was this far along with Bransyn, I had been in 3 times already! Glad I made it this far without having to go in (& hopefully the next time I am there, won’t be until it is time to meet her!) Anyways. Here’s the story: Last night, I was sitting on the couch, on the internet on Ryan’s phone. All of a sudden, my vision started getting really spotty & every once in a while, kind of like hmm… smudgy? I don’t know how to put it. Not really blurry, but things looked kind of smeared, if that makes sense. So I got off the phone, & sat there for a few minutes & it was not going away. I decided to go take a shower in the dark (with a night light so I could at least see) to maybe see if that would help. I thought it had helped while I was in the dark, but once I was out in the light again, it came back. I decided to just sit down & close my eyes for a while. After a little while, I started getting really light headed/dizzy. A few minutes later, I got a headache. I continued to sit down, trying to relax & see if it would go away. A little while later, I started feeling sick, like I was going to puke. Then, I just started feeling really, really weird. I honestly don’t know how to explain exactly what I felt like, but the best way I can explain it, is that I didn’t feel like I was fully conscious, if that makes sense? I was getting really worried, so I had Ryan google my symptoms. He found a few things about high blood pressure/hypertension & pre eclampsia. I decided to call my dr to see what I should do. It was around 10pm, so the office was no longer open. I got ahold of the on call receptionist, told her what was going on & she paged Dr. Lunt to have him call me. A while later, I got a call from him, re-explained everything, & asked him what I should do. He said it was really up to me, whether I wanted go to L&D or not. Obviously high blood pressure is something you don’t want to mess with & it is something that really scares me. He said that I could go in to have them check my bp just to make sure it was okay. He said it’s not very likely that I would have pre-e this early in the pregnancy, so that kind of helped ease my mind about that. But I guess it was ultimately up to me what to do. I sat at home thinking about what to do for a while, and I finally decided that I would like to just go get my bp checked, just to make sure there were no issues with that. If it was just me, I would of waited to get checked the next day. But when I have my child to think about as well, I want to make sure everything is okay & that it wasn’t something that would effect her. So I had Ry take me in. Since it was so late, we didn’t have anyone to watch Bransyn, so we ended up just taking him with us. Since kids aren’t allowed in L&D, Ryan stayed out in the waiting room with him, while he slept. When I got back there, I explained what was going on & my Dr. said I could go in to get my blood pressure checked, so that’s why I was there. The nurse then told me ‘Well, that’s not all we have to do’ Uhh, what does that mean?! She took me into a room, had me get changed into a hospital gown, give a urine sample, then get strapped up to the monitors in bed. Ahhh, so much for a simple blood pressure check, right?! It took them a while to find this stubborn little girls heartbeat, which normally would of worried me, but she was moving at the time so I knew she was fine. She just never wants to let anyone find her cute little heart! Haha. (never fails, every time they try to find it at an appointment, it always takes a few minutes! She is always in the most inconvenient positions, haha!) Anyways, they finally found it, then got me strapped up to the blood pressure machine. While that was going, she asked me about all of my symptoms & then a bunch of questions that had to be put into the computer. When the machine was done taking my bp, she told me that it was not high at all, it was actually a tad bit on the low side. It’s nothing to be concerned about, especially since it could even be normal for me (they didn’t have my file for my dr’s office, so they didn’t have a record of my bp) After a while of being monitored, she told me that the baby looks amazing - she had a good, steady heartbeat & was moving all around. As for all the symptoms I has having, she said that my heart is most likely just working really hard to pump all the extra blood, which was causing all of that to happen. She also said that it’s kind of like having a panic attack, but without the panic. But of course, not knowing what was going on DID make me panic. All of the symptoms are the same as high blood pressure, so the only way to know the difference between the 2 is to get checked. After confirming everything was okay, they released me to go home. Half of me felt like the whole trip was a waste of time, but the other half of me was glad I went in because you never know if there’s going to be something more serious, unless you get it checked. I also probably would have been freaking out all night long, not knowing what was gong on. So I guess in the long run, I was glad I went in. I don’t ever want to take the chance of something putting my baby in danger & not doing anything about it. I am very glad everything is okay, though! Ah, pregnancy is so stressful! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment