(Birthday & 12 month updates will be up soon. . . i promise! Just getting this post out of the way!)
We had a GREAT ending to Bransyn's first birthday party. . . not.
Here's the story(for those of you that weren't there) :
Towards the end of that party, he threw up a few times. We didn't know why, just thought maybe he had too much sugar from the cake. So we went & got him into the bath to wash him. Then when I was dressing him, I noticed he had a red rash lookin' thing allll over his body. So I decided that we would see if we could maybe take him into his pediatricians after hours clinic, or the Insta Care. Well, shortly after he started coughing really bad. So we gave him some water. Then I noticed the red 'rash' had developed some hive-like bumps. I told Ryan that we needed to take him to his Dr right away, but then my mom told me they weren't open until 6pm & it was only just after 5pm. So I told him we would just go wait so that we could get in right away. Well then he started getting really restless, he wouldn't stop moving while I was holding him, he kept squirming like he wanted to get down, but he didn't want to get down.. He was itching all over. The rash & hives were getting worse & his eyes were all red & puffy. Then I heard him kind of wheezing & sounding like he was having trouble breathing. That was it, I was not about to wait around for the walk in clinic to open, when my 12 month old child was having trouble breathing. I was SO scared his throat was gonna swell closed. So I told Ryan we were going straight to the ER. So I went & grabbed some keys & went to run outside to the car. But he was wearing short sleeves with no socks, so everyone was telling me to get him a jacket & hat. So I ran to find his diaper bag cause it had his beanie in it, then someone handed me a blanked & I was out the door. Then I realized the keys I had were not mine. So I got B into his car seat & ran inside to find my keys. Then I was right back outside, telling everyone to get out of my car we were leaving. Bransyn was NOT acting like himself at all. It was so scary. He kept squirming in his car seat & crying/screaming (he never does that anymore). And he wouldn't even calm down for his favorite light up ball. I tried singing 'You are my sunshine' to him, (cause that is our song & he LOVES when I sing it to him. . . he used to fall asleep to me singing. He always calms down when I sing that to him) That kind of helped for a second, but he was still whimpering & scratching at his head a lot. I kept telling Ryan to go faster, I didn't care if there were cops. Then when people would 'block' us in (you know, where on a 2 lane road there's a car right next to you & right in front of you in the same lane. & even though you're riding the persons ass, they still don't move! SO annoying! This happened TWICE) So as soon as the cars in front got far enough that he had barely enough room to get in front of the cars beside us, he just went through! It was kinda freaky, but I did NOT want to watch my baby having to fight to breath. That was the longest car ride of my life. I think my heart was in my stomach the entire time & I only took my eyes off of Bransyn long enough to see why we were going so slow. So we finally get to the hospital & Ryan dropped me off in front so that I could run B in. I told them what was wrong, & when I pulled down his shirt to show the check-in lady the red rash, there was even more & it was like BRIGHT red now. Then Ryan got in there after parking the car, she gave us both masks (that we HAD to wear until we were out of the hospital completely) & got us back to triage. Then another nurse came back to do all the registration & check his vitals & everything. They put one of these on him, but for infants/toddlers, they have them that go on their toes. And also one of those cuff things to check his blood pressure. He was NOT happy with that at all, so it kept saying his HR was over 200 BPM!!! When I looked at that, I could not even get the words out to ask why it was so high before she told me that it wasn't right. He wasn't holding still enough for it to register correctly, so it was showing wayyyy higher then it should of. But he never did stop moving enough, so I don't think they ever got his vitals back there. By this time, he wasn't wheezing very much anymore & seemed like he wasn't in as much pain/itchiness, so she gave him a 3 on uncomfortable-ness, on a scale of 1-10. Then she told us that since he was so little, he probably wouldn't keep a hospital bracelet on, so one of us had to wear it & go with him EVERYWHERE. I volunteered to wear it, I didn't wanna leave his side! After that, we had to go wait in the waiting room for a minute. Then when the nurse came out to get us to take him back to be seen, they told us only ONE of us could go back with him because of all the flu stuff! Seriously?! that's crap. (especially since not even 5 minutes earlier we saw a couple walk out with their baby, so obviously they were both back there with him!) So since I was wearing the band, I got to go back with him. When we got to a room, they put another toe pulse oximeter on him, but taped it so that it would stay in place, & he didn't even notice it was there. I went over a few things with the nurse, & then after waiting a few minutes for the dr, with a VERY stinky boy & no diapers might I add, he came in & checked him out. B wasn't wheezing at all at this point & the Dr listened to his lungs & said they sounded perfect. He said that the problem might of been coming from a little higher up in his airways. But he was pretty sure that he just had an allergic reaction to something. He also said that he might have asthma (which we already knew was a possibility because of what we talked about at the dr when I took him in about 2 weeks ago) & that could of played a part in his wheezing & difficulty breathing. So anyways, they don't know what the reaction was too, & said 90% of the time they can't tell, so they just gave him some benadryl & a steroid to open his airways more in case it happened again. Then we were good to go! Before we even got out of the hospital parking lot, he was back to his normal little cute & silly self! He was talking, squealing, laughing & playing. He even kept taking my hand & whacking it against his face, hahah. Then he kept saying 'bruuuummmmm' cause we were in the car (: We had to go get some food & get his prescriptions filled, & the whole time he was just being so silly. Which was the BESTTTT! I am SO glad he is okay & nothing worse happened. I have never been so scared in my life! But what a way to end his first birthday party, eh?!
Hopefully next year it goes a bit smoother, haha.
I wish I had some pictures to show how red he was & all the nasty hives. Buttttt, taking pictures of him like that was the lassst thing on my mind. I, obviously, did not have my camera since I was running out the door & almost forgot my purse. Then I left my phone in the car cause I practically jumped out! So nothin' to show from his first trip to the ER, except for this:
& no, that is not his SSN on there (:
Definitely hope we don't have to go back there anytime soon! (or at ALL. haha, but that's probably near impossible, ya know, having a BOY & all!)
We had a GREAT ending to Bransyn's first birthday party. . . not.
Here's the story(for those of you that weren't there) :
Towards the end of that party, he threw up a few times. We didn't know why, just thought maybe he had too much sugar from the cake. So we went & got him into the bath to wash him. Then when I was dressing him, I noticed he had a red rash lookin' thing allll over his body. So I decided that we would see if we could maybe take him into his pediatricians after hours clinic, or the Insta Care. Well, shortly after he started coughing really bad. So we gave him some water. Then I noticed the red 'rash' had developed some hive-like bumps. I told Ryan that we needed to take him to his Dr right away, but then my mom told me they weren't open until 6pm & it was only just after 5pm. So I told him we would just go wait so that we could get in right away. Well then he started getting really restless, he wouldn't stop moving while I was holding him, he kept squirming like he wanted to get down, but he didn't want to get down.. He was itching all over. The rash & hives were getting worse & his eyes were all red & puffy. Then I heard him kind of wheezing & sounding like he was having trouble breathing. That was it, I was not about to wait around for the walk in clinic to open, when my 12 month old child was having trouble breathing. I was SO scared his throat was gonna swell closed. So I told Ryan we were going straight to the ER. So I went & grabbed some keys & went to run outside to the car. But he was wearing short sleeves with no socks, so everyone was telling me to get him a jacket & hat. So I ran to find his diaper bag cause it had his beanie in it, then someone handed me a blanked & I was out the door. Then I realized the keys I had were not mine. So I got B into his car seat & ran inside to find my keys. Then I was right back outside, telling everyone to get out of my car we were leaving. Bransyn was NOT acting like himself at all. It was so scary. He kept squirming in his car seat & crying/screaming (he never does that anymore). And he wouldn't even calm down for his favorite light up ball. I tried singing 'You are my sunshine' to him, (cause that is our song & he LOVES when I sing it to him. . . he used to fall asleep to me singing. He always calms down when I sing that to him) That kind of helped for a second, but he was still whimpering & scratching at his head a lot. I kept telling Ryan to go faster, I didn't care if there were cops. Then when people would 'block' us in (you know, where on a 2 lane road there's a car right next to you & right in front of you in the same lane. & even though you're riding the persons ass, they still don't move! SO annoying! This happened TWICE) So as soon as the cars in front got far enough that he had barely enough room to get in front of the cars beside us, he just went through! It was kinda freaky, but I did NOT want to watch my baby having to fight to breath. That was the longest car ride of my life. I think my heart was in my stomach the entire time & I only took my eyes off of Bransyn long enough to see why we were going so slow. So we finally get to the hospital & Ryan dropped me off in front so that I could run B in. I told them what was wrong, & when I pulled down his shirt to show the check-in lady the red rash, there was even more & it was like BRIGHT red now. Then Ryan got in there after parking the car, she gave us both masks (that we HAD to wear until we were out of the hospital completely) & got us back to triage. Then another nurse came back to do all the registration & check his vitals & everything. They put one of these on him, but for infants/toddlers, they have them that go on their toes. And also one of those cuff things to check his blood pressure. He was NOT happy with that at all, so it kept saying his HR was over 200 BPM!!! When I looked at that, I could not even get the words out to ask why it was so high before she told me that it wasn't right. He wasn't holding still enough for it to register correctly, so it was showing wayyyy higher then it should of. But he never did stop moving enough, so I don't think they ever got his vitals back there. By this time, he wasn't wheezing very much anymore & seemed like he wasn't in as much pain/itchiness, so she gave him a 3 on uncomfortable-ness, on a scale of 1-10. Then she told us that since he was so little, he probably wouldn't keep a hospital bracelet on, so one of us had to wear it & go with him EVERYWHERE. I volunteered to wear it, I didn't wanna leave his side! After that, we had to go wait in the waiting room for a minute. Then when the nurse came out to get us to take him back to be seen, they told us only ONE of us could go back with him because of all the flu stuff! Seriously?! that's crap. (especially since not even 5 minutes earlier we saw a couple walk out with their baby, so obviously they were both back there with him!) So since I was wearing the band, I got to go back with him. When we got to a room, they put another toe pulse oximeter on him, but taped it so that it would stay in place, & he didn't even notice it was there. I went over a few things with the nurse, & then after waiting a few minutes for the dr, with a VERY stinky boy & no diapers might I add, he came in & checked him out. B wasn't wheezing at all at this point & the Dr listened to his lungs & said they sounded perfect. He said that the problem might of been coming from a little higher up in his airways. But he was pretty sure that he just had an allergic reaction to something. He also said that he might have asthma (which we already knew was a possibility because of what we talked about at the dr when I took him in about 2 weeks ago) & that could of played a part in his wheezing & difficulty breathing. So anyways, they don't know what the reaction was too, & said 90% of the time they can't tell, so they just gave him some benadryl & a steroid to open his airways more in case it happened again. Then we were good to go! Before we even got out of the hospital parking lot, he was back to his normal little cute & silly self! He was talking, squealing, laughing & playing. He even kept taking my hand & whacking it against his face, hahah. Then he kept saying 'bruuuummmmm' cause we were in the car (: We had to go get some food & get his prescriptions filled, & the whole time he was just being so silly. Which was the BESTTTT! I am SO glad he is okay & nothing worse happened. I have never been so scared in my life! But what a way to end his first birthday party, eh?!
Hopefully next year it goes a bit smoother, haha.
I wish I had some pictures to show how red he was & all the nasty hives. Buttttt, taking pictures of him like that was the lassst thing on my mind. I, obviously, did not have my camera since I was running out the door & almost forgot my purse. Then I left my phone in the car cause I practically jumped out! So nothin' to show from his first trip to the ER, except for this:
Definitely hope we don't have to go back there anytime soon! (or at ALL. haha, but that's probably near impossible, ya know, having a BOY & all!)
No comments:
Post a Comment