Monday, April 18, 2011

Not the nice relaxing family Sunday I had in mind. . .

Warning: Very lonnnng post & you might get bored (: haha

So yesterday, I was really looking forward to having a family day, go to the park or something, since we only have a limited amount of time left with just the 3 of us. Ry had to work ALL day Saturday, so we lost 1/2 of our weekend together. Brans woke me up at about 10am. I decided to get up with him, since Ry has been really good about letting me sleep in lately. He needed a turn (: Started out like a normal day. I got Mr. B & myself some breakfast. After I was done eating, I noticed that I was having trouble breathing. Which is normal. I'm 36+ weeks pregnant & this baby is so big now, that she's just pressing everything up to make room for herself, so my lungs are quite squished. I have been dealing with this lame symptom for months now, I'm used to it. Or so I thought. It seemed to be REALLY bad this time. Like no matter what I did, I just could not get enough air. I was taking extremely deep breaths & still didn't feel like I was getting half of what I should of. I tried changing positions frequently. I would lay on the couch for a few minutes, go walk around for a few minutes, sit super straight up on the computer chair & mess around on facebook to get my mind off of it. Nothing seemed to help at all. Ry woke up at about 11:30. He knew from the look on my face that something was wrong. I told him I was just having trouble breathing, which he too knew was normal. I told him it was pretty bad today & I didn't know why. He asked if I wanted to go in, but I said no because all they're gonna tell me is it's normal. So he told me he was gonna run to the store real quick to get some eggs. I remember him going out to the garage to start his truck. I think he was in the kitchen for a minute before that, & at that point, I remember barely being able to breathe at ALL, like I literally felt like my airways were the size of a needle. But I was so focused on getting myself to breath, that I didn't yell for him or anything. So he went out to pull the truck out of the garage. By this point, I was breathing so hard, I was apparently hyperventilating. I remember feeling my head get super tingly & my face went numb. Then to make matters worse, I hear Bransyn run over to the garage door & open it to see where Ry was going. I started panicking, because I literally could not stand up, yell for help, or anything. I was scared that B would go out into the garage & Ry wouldn't see him & something terrible would happen. Luckily, Ry did see him & brought him back in. He was standing in the kitchen for a minute (I was on the couch) & it seemed like foreverrr until he came over & saw me struggling to breath. He was on his way into B's room when he noticed how I was breathing so hard & crying, & he asked me if I was okay. Obviously, I was unable to answer him. He didn't really think much of it I guess (um. how could you not, when you see someone breathing so hard & clearly having trouble? haha) When he came back out, he kept asking me what was wrong. If I was okay. What the deal was. I kept trying to tell him that I couldn't breathe, but I guess I didn't do a very good job of it. I remember trying to point to my chest & neck, to try to 'signal' what was going on, since he clearly did not understand that me breathing super hard meant that I couldn't breathe. He kept asking me if he should call 911, cause he didn't know what was going on, or what to do. I tried to tell him no, because I really just needed help getting my breathing normal. But I didn't do too good of a job with that, either. haha. It frustrated me, because in my head, I had no idea how he couldn't understand what I was trying to tell him. I totally felt like I was making everything clear, but I think I was hyperventilating too much & apparently having a panic attack. So. He called 911. After a minute, I was actually glad he called, because I literally felt like I was going to die. I have NEVER felt like that before in my life & I hope I NEVER have to experience that feeling again. My head felt SO tight & numb, my chest started to feel really heavy & I thought that I was going to stop breathing altogether. An ambulance came to the house, along with a fire truck (not sure WHY, there was no fire? haha) and about 80 guys. They tried asking me what was wrong, but again... I couldn't make it clear. I just kept pointing to my chest & my throat, signaling that I couldn't breathe, along with trying to actually tell them... but with the way I was breathing/crying/hyperventilating/panicking, no one could understand. They got the oxygen & put the mask on me. That did help a bit, even though I was still breathing extremely hard. They also brought a few things in to check my vitals & BP. They kept trying to talk to me, but I couldn't say anything back. Then they kept telling me that I needed to try my hardest to calm myself down & take a deep breath of the oxygen through my nose, hold it for 4 seconds then let it out. I'm not really sure how well I was doing with that, once I was finally able to feel like I could breathe a teensy bit, I kept feeling like I was going to pass out. I remember fighting it a few times (I am like deathly afraid of passing out) & the EMT's telling me to stay awake when I would start to lose the fight. I *think* I managed to stay conscious the whole time. I finally stopped hyperventilating & came out of the panic attack. I was able to breathe a bit better, although still having trouble. I don't remember everything that went on, I was just so focused on staying calm & getting enough oxygen, and also making sure I was feeling the baby move & not having any pains. They finally asked me if I waned them to take me to the hospital. I said no, because although I was still having trouble, I didn't feel like I was going to die anymore. Then they said that it would probably be best to go make sure the baby is okay, because they didn't have to equipment to check on her with them. After they said that, I agreed. I definitely wanted to make sure my baby was okay! So they brought the gurney in & got me strapped onto it. I felt soo bad, because although Ry was able to keep Bransyn occupied in his room the whole time the EMT's were there, I'm pretty sure he saw me get wheeled out on that thing, I remember him saying 'mommy' but no crying, luckily. I was kind of out of it at that point. So there I was in an ambulance for the very first time, somewhere I have always tried to avoid. I felt soo alone & kind of scared, even though I had the EMT's back there with me. I wish there had been someone else at the house to take Brans, so that Ryan could of rode with me. But I did feel a little bit better, right after we turned out of our street, I saw Ryan & Brans following right behind us, so I at least knew Ry would be at the hospital with me. I only felt better for a second, though, cause then I was told that they had to get me hooked up to an IV, because the hospital requires them to already be in by the time you get there. AWESOME. As if I'm not already scared of stupid IV's, I have to get one while DRIVING?! I tried to talk them out of it. I BEGGED them not to do it, but they 'had' to. Ick. I couldn't tell you how many times they tried to poke me with that stupid thing & I would pull my hand away. That ambulance was SO shaky, why would they try to poke me with a needle in there?! I finally just let them, because I knew I wasn't going to win. And I was definitely right... that was THEE most painful IV I have ever had in my life. I could feel everyyything. I'm pretty sure the guy that did it was still in training. So fun. It hurt like hell *excuse my language* and I guess he stuck it too far in at first, so they had to pull it out a little bit. They kept saying to me, 'see, that wasn't too bad!' I wanted to punch them. It still hurt, even after it was in. (which was on the side of my hand, like an inch under my thumb. I have a ton of bigger & better veins they could of stuck that thing in, why they chose that one, I have no idea! So we finally got to the hospital & one of the guys kept cracking 'jokes' trying to make me laugh. I pretended to, just to make him feel good. They got me in there & into a room where I got hooked up to the monitors. They found baby's heart beat pretty quick. After listening to it for a second, the lady that hooked me up says to me 'Oh, you must be having a boy! Definitely sounds like a boy!' .... uhm .... well ... no, I am not but thanks for making me worry about my little girl coming out with an extra something, now! After that, they got me hooked up to that little thingy they put on your finger & the blood pressure cuff thingy. (I know medical terms sooo well, right?) Everything was looking normal, my heart rate was just fine, my oxygen levels were just fine. So they took me off of the oxygen. I wish they wouldn't have, it was helping me to not feel like I was suffering so much. But my oxygen levels still stayed between 97-99% without it. I just had to *feel* like I wasn't getting enough. After a few minutes, everyone left the room. And although I love being able to listen to my baby's heart beat, I was kind of lonely. About 10 minutes later, Ryan finally came in! I had been wondering where he was at, but I had no phone, so I couldn't call him or anything. Luckily, his parents were already in town, so they were able to help out with Brans. He stayed with me for awhile. Nothing was really going on, except still monitoring the baby. After awhile, he went out in the waiting room for something, I forget. But his mom came back instead of him. I guess they had some leftover food & Ry was hunnngry (: haha. So his mom stayed & talked to me for a bit. I told her what happened. Then the Dr came in to ask me what happened. I explained everything. He informed me that the difficulty breathing thing is normal (duh, I knew that) & that it probably just got reallly intense & I started panicking, then hyperventilating, which caused my head to go tingly & numb, and for me to feel like I was going to die. He said that he wasn't concerned about any kind of sickness, such as pneumonia, or anything in my lungs, since the difficulty breathing was my only 'symptom'. So we decided that an x-ray wasn't necessary, since I'm still pregnant we don't want to do that unless we absolutely have to, so he just wanted to get some blood, just to make sure everything else was okay, since there's really no explanation as to why it was so bad. After he left, Ryan's mom noticed my horrible IV. Which, I forgot to mention was all bloody. I was like 'Oh yeah, gross huh? they just HAD to do that in the ambulance & it KILLS' She couldn't believe that they did it while driving. Then we noticed that nothing was even going through it. Like the fluid was alll through the tube, but it wasn't going into my body at all & there was no 'drip' coming from the bag. So she went out & got someone to come look at it & see if it was still necessary for me to have one. I love that she did that (: haha. So someone came in, looked at it & was like 'Oh, that doesn't look like it's even in right!' Well duhh, it wouldn't hurt like that if it was! ha. So he got some kind of injection thing to check it with, NOO idea what it was. But when he did it, it hurt so bad! Then he was like, oh yeah, it's bad. We'll have to take it out & re-do it. AWESOME. Just what I want, to be poked again! But it was nice to finally have that thing out of my hand! After a while, she went out to the waiting room & Ry came back in. We sat there for awhile. Just talked & stuff. Hospitals take FOREVER. Then the phlebotomist (or 'vampires' as I like to call them ;) came in to do my blood work. Gah, more pokes. Luckily, this lady was MUCH better at her job, than the sucky IV dude was. I hardly felt anything beyond that first poke. I think she took like 5 viles. Then we waited. Annnnd waited. Forever. Finally, like an hour later the Dr came back in & told me that all my blood work came back normal, which was definitely good. So I figured at that point I was good to go! But of course not. Hospitals take forever, remember? So we waited for probably another half an hour before they came in & discharged me. I was pretty excited to be getting out of that place. Then I realized... I had no shoes. I totally forgot about them when I was being taken out of the house. So Ry asked someone if I could get some booties. And we got to wait a bit longer for them to find some ;) haha. FINALLY, get got out of that place. And Ry took me to get some ice cream, since I was such a trooper ;) Except he just reallly wanted some ice cream. haha. Fine with me, I had been craving a snickers shake for daysss.
So that was my latest adventure. I am actually pretty embarrassed that I had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital, because of a stupid pregnancy symptom. I still have NO idea why it was so bad, & I really hope it never gets that bad again. Feeling like you can't breathe is one of the WORST feelings ever. Especially when you're worrying about your little baby, wondering if they are being affected by it at all. So, I just hope that these next 2 1/2 weeks FLYYY by, so I hopefully don't have to go through this again! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment