Brans had his 2nd dentist appointment today! So crazy that it's already been 6 months since his first one! All day he kept asking me 'Where is my dentist?!' haha, I think he was just a litttle bit excited to go ;) He did really well! I love that Ryan's sister works at the dentists office, so she is always the one that cleans his teeth & I think that helps him feel more comfortable since he knows her. Before he got his teeth brushed, he got to brush & floss the horses teeth! (it's a puppet ;) When it came time to do his, he got to put headphones on & watch the 'Finding Nemo' on the TV that was on the ceiling. As Nikki was laying the seat back & moving it up so that she could do his teeth, he had a little freak out. I'm not sure why it scared him so much, but he started screaming & saying 'I want mommy!' I told him it was okay & that I was right there & would hold his hand the whole time. So he layed down & let her brush his teeth. He was really cooperative & opened his mouth real wide to get the back teeth & just watched Nemo the whole time (: He LOVED when she squirted the water in his mouth to rinse, haha. He kept opening his mouth for more, it was so funny. After his teeth were all cleaned, we waited for the dentist to come in & look at his teeth! Brans practiced his teeth brushing & flossing on the horse again while we waited (: When the dentist came in, Brans layed right down & opened his mouth right up for him to look! He didn't cry at all! But, I just about did :( He has his first cavity. I know, I know... it sounds HORRIBLE for a 2 year old to have a cavity & I feel so bad. It was just a teeny one & it didn't even need to be filled right away, but since we were already there I decided to just have it done. I was given the option to just have them hold him down while they filled it, or they could sedate him. They told me that it was only a 3-5 minute procedure - depending on how much fight the kid has in 'em - & it doesn't hurt, they just cry & scream because they are being held down & their mouth is being forced open. With sedation, it would leave him really loopy for about 5 hours. I decided to go with just holding him down... no need to sedate for a couple minute procedure that wasn't gonna hurt. So we waiting for about 15 minutes, until they were able to fit him in to get it done. When it was time, Nikki layed him on her lap, held his hands down & his head was on the doctors legs. He kind of freaked out a bit at that point, but calmed right down when we all told him it was okay. They got started right away by putting a clamp thing in his mouth to hold it open. I thought he would for sure freak out about that, but he didn't. They dried off the tooth, then as soon as they turned the 'drill' on, he started crying. I just wanted to scoop him up & take him right out of there! But I asked him if he wanted me to show him the pictures of the elephants in his book & he said yeah, so I did. He was calmed down by the time they started working on the tooth. I think he was just scared from the sound the drill made. He stayed very still & let the dentist work on his tooth, only whimpering a tiny bit here & there, but really no real cries! Nikki kept talking to him about monster trucks & of course, that kept his attention, haha. They kept telling me they he was doing SO good, & they were impressed... most 2 year olds throw huge fits! It only took about 2 minutes from start to finish, because he was being so good! I'm glad I didn't have him sedated for that 2 minute procedure, especially since he did so well! Once he was done, he was just fine! He even told the dentist thank-you for fixing his tooth! (: Along with a new toothbrush, a book (that he got to pick out before he had his tooth filled - the elephant one) he got TWO balloons! His next check-up will be in September! (:
I still feel completely horrible that he already has a cavity, I felt like a bad parent at first. But, it made me feel better when the dentist told me that when his kid was 2, he had 2 cavity's... & that's a DENTIST'S kid! It also helped that I KNOW we brush his teeth really good every day & he doesn't go to bed with milk or juice & really doesn't have much sugar. These things just happen sometimes. But I am SO SO SOOOO proud of how well he did! He is SUCH a brave little kid & does so well with these kind of things! It's pretty sad that he does better at the dentist at TWO years old, then I did growing up! I used to cry & scream & try to run away when I went to the dentist. I got my first & only cavity at 14 or 15 & I had to be sedated! I wouldn't even let them just give me a numbing shot! I swear this kid just amazes me more & more every day, I am soo lucky! (:
I still feel completely horrible that he already has a cavity, I felt like a bad parent at first. But, it made me feel better when the dentist told me that when his kid was 2, he had 2 cavity's... & that's a DENTIST'S kid! It also helped that I KNOW we brush his teeth really good every day & he doesn't go to bed with milk or juice & really doesn't have much sugar. These things just happen sometimes. But I am SO SO SOOOO proud of how well he did! He is SUCH a brave little kid & does so well with these kind of things! It's pretty sad that he does better at the dentist at TWO years old, then I did growing up! I used to cry & scream & try to run away when I went to the dentist. I got my first & only cavity at 14 or 15 & I had to be sedated! I wouldn't even let them just give me a numbing shot! I swear this kid just amazes me more & more every day, I am soo lucky! (:
No comments:
Post a Comment