Friday, March 11, 2011

My little sicky.

At about midnight Wednesday night, I kept hearing Bransyn making noises/whining in his sleep & could just tell he wasn't sleeping very well. So I went into his room, & sat with him to see if it was just a bad dream, or if something was wrong. I decided to feel his forehead & it seemed a little warm to me, but I couldn't find a thermometer, so I went & woke Ryan up to come feel B's head, just in case I was just going crazy. He said it didn't feel very warm to him, but I still felt like something wasn't right! We found a thermometer, but the batteries were just about done. We took his temp anyways, & it said a little over 99. (we took it under his arm, & you add a degree to that, so it was really a little over 100) Ryan said he would be fine, but with all the crap going around right now & all these high fevers on little kids that I had been hearing about, I did not want to take the chance of something happening. We didn't have any Tylenol, Motrin, ibuprofen, or anything, since we haven't had a need for it since we moved. So at almost 1am, I headed out to Walgreens & got some Tylenol & a new thermometer. (oh, and Milk ;) When I got back, I took his temp again & he was still just over 100. I gave him some Tylenol to help break the mild fever, put a cold rag on his head & he fell back to sleep. I let him sleep with me, because I'm am SO scared of high fevers & I wanted to make sure he was gonna be okay. I hardly slept at alll. He likes to sleep sideways in my bed, then kick me cause I'm in his way, ha. But every time he would kick me, I would literally have a heart attack, cause I would think he was having a seizure (I was half asleep, okay!) because really high fevers can lead to febrile seizures & that was stuck in my head. I woke up at about 7am & checked his temp again, & it was at 102. So I gave him another dose of the Tylenol. He was up after that & acting normal. He had breakfast, watched some Disney shows & wanted to play. At about 9am, I had him come lay down with me since we both didn't get much sleep. We feel asleep & I woke up just before noon. I felt his head right away & he was BURNING UP! I took his temperature & it was 103.6! I immediately called into his dr's office, told them what was going on & asked if they would be able to get him in right away, or if I should just take him straight to the ER. They said to bring him in & he could see the on-call doctor, since his pedi was pretty booked. So I got us both dressed, gave him some more Tylenol & we headed right over there. We got back pretty much right away, the doctor came in & talked to me a bit, asked some questions. He looked at the back of his throat & determined that he had an infection. I also had him look in his ears, but they looked okay. He said he was thinking it was probably influenza, or strep throat. So he sent us down the lab to get an influenza test done. Brans did SO good during that, I thought he was gonna scream when they stuck that thing up his nose. But he just sat there, & let her do it! Then he got to choose out 2 stickers (: After that was done, we went back down the hall to the other office & waited about 10 minutes for that result. The doctor came in & said that it had come back negative, so he was going to treat him for a severe throat infection. So we got a prescription for an antibiotic & I'll just continue giving him Tylenol to keep the fever down. When we got home, we had some lunch, then went to lay down & watch movies. He fell asleep again & I just kept checking him periodically. Just before 5, he was feeling EXTREMELY hot, so I took his temp again & he was at 104.3. So I woke him up, stripped him down, gave him some more Tylenol & put him in a cool bath. I didn't want to make it super cold, just not warm, I guess it was maybe luke warm? He did NOT like it at ALL. He started screaming & crying like I have never heard him cry before! I felt horrible, but I just wanted to get his body temp down as quick as possible. I filled a cup with water a few times & poured it all over his body, then got him out. I dried him off, then just let him lay right next to me, so I could absorb some of his body heat. (I read somewhere that helps...?) About 15 minutes later, he was acting normal & wanted to play dinosaurs. So he went & got his bucket of dinosaurs & played with them on my bed. He was fine after that. He ate dinner, (well, he would only eat cereal & oatmeal, so I let him, ha) took a semi-cold shower, & we watched Finding Nemo until I was able to give him another dose of Tylenol before putting him to bed. After I gave him that, we went & layed down in my bed (yes, I let him sleep with me again, ha) & he was out within a few minutes. I could already tell he was sleeping a LOT better, so I felt like it was gonna be a much better night. I woke up every few hours to check his forehead & see if his body was still really hot, & he felt perfectly normal each time! I took his temp again just before 7am & his fever was COMPLETELY gone!!! (: I was SO relieved & happy! He didn't wake up when I took it, & stayed asleep until 11:45am!!! He slept 13 hours straight! I think that the antibiotic had kicked in & all that rest really helped. He has been doing well ever since! This was his first high fever ever, so it was really scary for me! (I don't think he's ever even gotten past 100* before!) He's even back to asking for chocolate milk allll the time, haha. He had been asking for water a lot yesterday, which is pretty rare for him! I'm just glad he's better & we didn't have to make any ER trips (: I hope this is that last of his sickies for this 'season'!

No comments:

Post a Comment